Everyone who cares about the latest trends in food processing and tech will be watching Chicago next week as the Institute of Food Technologists arrives at McCormick Place for its IFT13 Annual Meeting & Food Expo. Ingredient and processing specialists from around the industry will convene, with more launches and samples that we could ever list.
Some big names have already announced plans, though, and these are 15 of the flavor, speaker and ingredient concepts that you may want to keep an eye on:
1. IFT—CNN program host and Washington Post columnist Fareed Zakaria will speak at the opening keynote address during the opening session on Sunday, July 14, at 8:30 a.m.
2. Stratum Nutrition—Ibrahim Abou-Nemeh, a food applications expert, will present Stratum's ingredient ApuraGreen, a kiwi-flavored paste for baked goods as part of the New Ingredient Technologies Sessions and will be held on Tuesday, July 16, at 1:15 p.m.
3. Cargill—The company will announce consumer research findings about parents who buy food for children at a 1:00 p.m. press conference Monday at booth #2329.
4. DSM—DSM's showcase will include natural color options, including carotenoids that are certified under the company's Quality for Life specifications.
5. WILD Flavors, Inc.—Booth #900 will feature flavors and colors from WILD. Examples include a black raspberry mint smoothie and a rainbow sherbet lollipop that contains Immunel for added immune support.
6. Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics—Booth #4475 will host Saint-Gobain's tubing and dispensing products, including bio-based and phthalate-free Tygon S3 tubing and Norprene food process tubing.
7. Z Trim Holdings, Inc.—The Mundelein, Ill.-based biotech company will put its new meat application on display at booth #1203, demonstrating that, as well as other ingredient offerings.
8. Dow Water & Process Solutions—Based out of booth #3516, Dow will be launching it's new Specialty Nutrition Resin Kit for beverage processors. Other products on display will include its Amberlite FPX66 for improving taste, and Hypershell NF245-8038 for improving dairy processing.
9. David Michael & Co.—The product development minds at David Michael will be sharing a variety of Greek yogurt products, including Raspberry Rooibos Tea and Pear flavors, along with lineup of other non-traditional concepts.
10. Innova Market Insights—Interested in the latest exotic flavor trends in soft drinks? Innova will have live daily demonstrations going on at booth #1576.
11. FMC Corporation—The chemical company will push its pectin and natural color products at the show, with the FMC BioPolymer team at booth #2390 providing samples of gummy and hard candy that use its products.
12. Biocatalysts Ltd.—Biocatalysts plans to introduce its new Promod 950L at IFT. The non-genetically modified microbial protease preparation is an alternative to the Carica Papaya-derived enyme papain.
13. Biothera—The Biothera booth will have samples of the new Unistraw Tubulars Immunity Straw, a flavored, immunity-aiding straw produced by Wellmune WGP and Unistraw USA.
14. Gelita—Gelita's ingredient concepts on display will include its gelatin and collagen peptides, which show up in gels, optimal foams and stable emulsions. The company will also be talking about its Peptiplus natural protein source concept.
15. Solvay—Solvay has a new vanilla flavor option called Govanil, which it will be taste-testing at IFT. Look for its vanilla specialists at booth #3213.
Would you like to see more food and beverage industry news and information like this in your inbox on a daily basis? Subscribe to our Food Dive email newsletter! You may also want to check out Food Dive's look at the floor of Fancy Food Show 2013.