How pulse flour's popularity aligns with food trends
- The global pulse flour market is growing and is expected to reach $56.6 billion by 2024, according to a report from Grand View Research.
- Europe currently dominates the global market with more than a quarter of all revenue, but demand in North America is expected to grow at a CAGR of about 13%.
- In 2015, about 90% of pulse flours were used for the bakery and snacks category, though it is becoming more popular as a beverage additive, and is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 12% for the next eight years. Chickpea flour is the most popular of the pulses, with a market share of more than 30%.
The texture, taste and nutritional value of pulse flour have already been making their popularity skyrocket. The ingredient is in line with several of the hottest trends in food today. Pulses— which include different kinds of beans — are high in fiber; a good source of protein, iron, potassium and folate; and gluten-free.
While the flours are being used in baked goods already, an ongoing research project may make them even more popular. Earlier this year, UK-based baking brand Warburtons teamed up with the Canadian International Grains Institute and Saskatchewan Pulse Growers on a three-year initiative to expand use of pulse flours in the wider food industry.
These extensive tests, designed to help create better baked goods with pulse flour, could help the bean-based powders become more dominant in the gluten-free foods segment. Even though sales growth in this segment is slowing down, the market is huge, expected to reach $4.89 billion by 2021, according to Transparency Market Research.
Pulse flour gets into beverages as a protein source. As more consumers are pursuing healthier lifestyles through diet and exercise, the protein beverage trend looks like it's here to stay. Protein has already crept into all kinds of beverages, including coffee and chocolate milk, and is likely to continue getting into more.
- Food Business News Pulse flour market may triple by 2024
- Grand View Research Pulse Flour Market Analysis By Product (Pea, Lentils, Chickpea), By Application (Bakery & Snacks, Dairy, Beverages) And Segment Forecasts To 2024
- PR Newswire Pulse Flour Market Size To Reach $56.62 Billion By 2024: Grand View Research, Inc.
Follow Megan Poinski on Twitter