Hampton Creek Foods, Chobani and chicken brands all got put on the defensive this week in Food Dive's most popular reads. Anyone who has been watching Hampton Creek's Beyond Eggs product shouldn't be surprised to see the egg industry circling its wagons. Meanwhile, we think the chicken industry's issues will be manageable, but Chobani may have to do some soul-searching now that Whole Foods is giving its yogurt the boot.
Catch up on all of those stories at the links below:
- 97% of chicken is contaminated, according to Consumer Reports: The magazine has published a study suggesting chicken meat is often covered with harmful bacteria.
- 5 food brands that own Christmas: Only a handful of brands have fought long enough and hard enough to become synonymous with the holiday season for consumers.
- Egg industry fights back against Hampton Creek: The darling of technologists and vegans is earning the ire of the chicken-egg industry.
- Whole Foods dumps Chobani, citing concerns over GMOs: The move is likely to rattle the company that drove the early growth in the Greek yogurt space.
- 3 strange and gross threats to the citrus industry: The recent cold weather in California is another reminder of how vulnerable the citrus crop is to Mother Nature.
Would you like to see more food news like this in your inbox on a daily basis? Subscribe to our Food Dive email newsletter!