- Monster Beverage Corp. lawyers on Monday denied that two 24-ounce cans of the company's energy drinks deserve blame in the December 2011 death of 14-year-old Anais Fournier.
- Fournier's parents in Maryland filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the company in 2012.
- Lawyers for Monster argued that Fournier had preexisting conditions and drank coffee regularly.
From the article:
"... Dan Callahan, a lawyer for Monster, said no blood tests were conducted to prove that Anais Fournier actually died of caffeine toxicity after drinking two 24-ounce Monster drinks in two days, and the girl had several preexisting conditions that predisposed her to the sudden cardiac arrhythmia that killed her in December 2011. ..."