If you haven't heard about the virus causing problems for the pork market or Pillsbury's new toaster strudel mascot, you probably need to catch up on the biggest food news of the past week. The price of bacon and a little boy named Hans attracted a lot of eyes, as did the launch of our own new Food Startups directory. Find out what's been going on at the links below:
- Bacon prices are soaring, and there's a reason: Here's the story behind a virus that's wreaking havoc with pork.
- Will people eat bugs? World Entomophagy takes on a tough market: The company's founder breaks down the bug market and explains where he sees it going.
- Shark Week gets its own (unofficial) beer can: The Discovery Channel's Shark Week inspired a retro can design that "Jaws" fans should recognize.
- Food Dive's Food Startups directory: Your new favorite database: Our team has collected all the important details on the hottest new startups in food processing, packaging and retail and put them in one place.
- This kid is the new mascot for Pillsbury Toaster Strudel: His name is Hans Strudel, and he will be the Pillsbury Doughboy's newest brand companion.
Would you like to see more food news like this in your inbox on a daily basis? Subscribe to our Food Dive email newsletter!