- Ronen Zohar, the chief executive officer of PepsiCo’s Sabra Dipping unit, which recently launched a TV ad campaign and will soon be the official dips sponsor for the NFL.
- At $1.1 billion, salsa sales in the U.S. are about twice what hummus sees, but Zohar predicts that wider hummus consumption will come in three waves:
- Getting people to dip it
- Getting people to spread it
- Getting people to use it as a side dish
- 18% of U.S. households have purchased hummus, according to information from Nielsen, and states in the West currently lag behind the Northeast in terms of hummus sales per store, but Zohar believes reaching his third stage will only be "an issue of time."
From the article:
... While the goal is to make the Middle Eastern dip accessible to Middle America, Zohar faces a lot of work to make it a fixture at Super Bowl parties. Annual U.S. salsa sales are about $1.1 billion, more than twice those of flavored spreads like hummus. Still, the spreads are growing at a 14 percent pace as Sabra and its main rivals, Nestlè’s (NSRGY) part-owned Tribe and Kraft Foods Group’s (KRFT) Athenos, appeal to Americans’ desire to eat healthier. ...