Blue Evolution is a dynamic start-up on a mission to connect consumers to the oceans through one extraordinary plant: seaweed. Beyond sustainable, seaweed regenerates the waters in which it grows, absorbing carbon from the ocean and alchemizing sunlight and seawater into healthy food. With a fast-growing array of consumer packaged goods products, on- and off-shore farms in Mexico and Alaska, and unique processing capabilities, we are introducing consumers to all the delicious ways that seaweed can enrich their lives.
This is a permanent position open for immediate hiring in Portland, OR.
Blue Evolution seeks a Sales Manager to capitalize on growing momentum of our newly launched line of sustainable seaweed infused products. Some recent excitement includes distribution with KeHE and national placement with Sprouts. Reporting to the VP of Sales and Marketing, you will be responsible for managing broker teams; building and maintaining relationships across large and small retailers; and exponentially growing Blue Evolution’s presence in natural grocery independents and chains, opening new regions over time. Opportunity for advancement within the company is high for the right person.
We’re a small but mighty team of passionate folks with many backgrounds and interests but the ocean, protecting our planet, and connecting over food unites us all.
The right person will be willing to get to work on anything that pops up as part of a growing startup team, but the primary responsibilities of the position entail:
- Identifying key brand-aligned accounts and retailers to target and get on shelf in CA, OR, and WA; thoughtfully growing into new markets over time
- Managing two broker teams covering the west coast
- Managing and strengthening current distributor and retailer relationships, including KeHE and Sprouts
- Evangelizing, demo-ing, and merchandising the deliciousness of our sustainable seaweed products
- Identifying, attending, and supporting trade shows and other events
- Supporting and informing marketing efforts, e-commerce channels, and direct to consumer avenues
- Forecasting sales, tracking and interpreting sales data and success/opportunities
- Establishing promo and deal schedules, managing and sorting through chargebacks and other sales-related paperwork and administration
- Tracking customer feedback and consumer trends and incorporating into company-wide planning and decision-making
- Doing whatever it takes to make Blue Evolution a pantry staple
- Traveling as needed to support all of the above
We’re seaweed nerds, but we can indoctrinate you to the wonders, potential, and love of seaweed easily. We do hope you bring:
- A proactive, hardworking, self-starting attitude and work ethic;
- Strength in goal-setting and execution, project management, and excellent organizational abilities;
- An interest in moving our food system to more sustainable, ethical choices and a passion for the ocean;
- Some experience in the food/CPG/sales/distribution world - natural channels ideally;
- A willingness and ability to travel where needed - by plane/train/automobile;
- A willingness and ability to get through all the paperwork, spreadsheets, and documents in this industry - paying attention to detail and not missing anything; taking good notes and documenting as needed;
- A likable, sociable, kind attitude that’s representative of our culture, all the while being a great salesperson. We highly value a collaborative, respectful environment and hope to emulate that with our outside relationships.
Sound like you? Please send a cover letter (no more than one page) and resume to [email protected] This position is open until filled but we’re looking to hire ASAP.
People of color, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Blue Evolution is committed to a diverse workplace and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Blue Evolution is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions.