The Nature’s Bounty Co. has a history of championing health and wellness tracing back 145 years. Putting science and the highest quality standards at the heart of our business, the brands of The Nature’s Bounty Co. are some of the most trusted in the world. Always motivated by nature’s bountiful effects on people’s health, our vision for health and wellness has inspired leading brands such as Nature’s Bounty®, Sundown Naturals®, Solgar®, Holland & Barrett®, Osteo Bi-Flex®, Ester-C®, MET-Rx®, Pure Protein®, Balance®, Body Fortress®, Puritan’s Pride® and Organic Dr.®, among others. As a leading global manufacturer, marketer, distributor and retailer of vitamins, nutritional supplements, sports & active nutrition and ethical beauty products, The Nature’s Bounty Co. is committed to supporting wellness in all its forms.
The Nature's Bounty Co. is currently recruiting for a Senior Scientist. This position will be responsible for running innovation for our solid dose products including tablets, capsules, and gels. We are looking for candidates that have specific solid dose innovation experience to drive various product development initiatives across the Organization.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manages and participates in technical projects and activities for Nature’s Bounty Co. VMHS (vitamin, mineral, herbs and supplements) branded new products including design, development, and technology transfer of new formulas, processes, products, line extensions and provides technical support to core products as needed
- Contributes to the successful execution of new product development activities inclusive of FEI (Front End of Innovation), Stage Gate and core Product Development activities and exploits enabling technology and delivery form platforms to support growth of current and future Nature’s Bounty Co. Brands and Platforms
- Technical lead for all VMHS projects where solid dose (capsules, tablets, softgels, chewables) is the primary delivery form
- Plan, manage and complete technical projects and activities necessary to design, develop and optimize new and improved formulations, products, and delivery systems for VMHS products that meet customer needs
- Creatively links formulation and/or product science and technology opportunities to the needs of the business through development and transfer of new products from Idea to Commercialization, transfers technologies from bench/pilot to manufacturing scale and successfully implements proprietary and differentiated technical solutions
- Conducts design and development activities where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of variable factors. Contributes to the development of new principles or concepts that lead to capability and competency enhancements and/or higher impact/value opportunities.
- Applies fundamental understanding of research principles and the scientific method, and acts as a role model in fostering a test-and-learn environment that improves R&D influence and effectiveness
- Manages the identification, assessment and development of enabling technology/delivery form platforms to enable meaningfully unique confectionary delivery of current and future ingredients/bioactives
- Collect, analyze, interpret, draw conclusions and make recommendations from data to enable technical execution of projects. Modify methodologies to improve the quality, accuracy and usefulness of data. Provide technical recommendations to R&D, Project and Brand teams through clear and concise oral and written communications. Participate in writing protocols and manufacturing documents for feasibility, development and commercial activities
- 4-7+ years of industrial experience in the dietary supplement, consumer healthcare and/or value-added consumer packaged goods industry with continually increasing scope of responsibilities
- BS, MS, PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Food Science, Pharmaceutical Science or equivalent
- Training or certifications in Project Management, Design of Experiments or equivalent is desired
- Breadth of technical knowledge and experience in application in functional food/nutritionals/dietary supplement formulation, product, process and platform development and delivery systems
- Experience and proven results in technical projects and project/program/platform leadership in an R&D environment
- Demonstrated proficiency in NPD/Stage Gate process from Idea through Commercialization
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with proven ability to manage up and work productively with cross-functional peers in a collaborative team environment
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Demonstrated expertise in partnering with external suppliers and contract developers and manufacturers
- Working knowledge and experience in design thinking, design of experiments and relevant statistical tools in product development
- Understanding of Good Manufacturing Practices and working knowledge of form-specific regulatory requirements (DSHEA, FDA) and certifications (non-GMO, Kosher, Halal, DSVP, etc.)
- Specific experience in functional confectionary formulation and process technology.
- Strong formulation expertise and understanding of ingredient/raw material physical and chemical interactions