Since 1852, Ghirardelli has created a legacy of creativity that sets our company apart from our competitors. Today, our innovative heritage continues to thrive, as Ghirardelli team members of different backgrounds work together, joined by a common passion: bringing new, delicious ideas to life. We’ve made it our priority to offer a supportive, engaging culture where our people feel valued, not simply for the skills they bring to our company, but for who they are as individuals.
That’s why we make sure that all of our team members, even if you are new to the company, have the opportunity to work on exciting, challenging projects and are given everything they need to do their best work. So we invite you to explore our opportunities and discover a place where your ideas come to life, as part of our delicious legacy.
At Ghirardelli we pride ourselves in making the best premium chocolate and we are one of the very few American Manufacturers that make chocolate starting from the coca bean through the finished products. Throughout the process we take special steps to ensure that our premium chocolate delivers our signature intense, smooth melting chocolate taste.
To ensure we continue to produce the highest quality products, we are looking for a Plant Quality Assurance Manager who prides themselves in only creating the best for our customers. This Plant QA Manager will be responsible for developing; implementing and working cross-functionally with other departments to maintain programs to improve product quality and food safety. This Manager will be responsible for providing directions, development and coaching to not only their direct report but the entire Plant QA Team.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Lead, development and coach the QA Plant team, including direct reports
- Implements Ghirardelli quality assurance programs for the plant and third party warehouses to ensure compliance with FSMA and GFSI requirements.
- Facilitate problem solving and develop a culture of continual improvement
- Develop and manage a quality scorecard to monitor performance against established metrics.
- Assist R&D department with projects as assigned.
- Ensure that manufactured products are produced in compliance with company specifications, policies and government regulations.
- Conduct Safety audits and ensure the successful implementation and maintenance of programs to achieve compliance with international, federal, state or local regulations as they apply to health, food safety, and labeling requirements.
- Participates in food tasting and product evaluation to ensure stringent quality controls are met and nuances in the flavor profile are detected to protect a uniform taste profile.
- Responsible for effective implementation and/or utilization of approved analytical methods to ensure the high quality of raw materials, semi-finished products, finished products and packaging materials.
- Work directly with Ghirardelli cross functional team members to ensure qualification of new equipment, processes and new products
- Manage regular case cutting product review, retention samples and quality assurance monitoring program.
- Investigate consumer complaints. Implement corrective actions and resolve complaints.
- Develop, implement and maintain quality assurance programs to ensure food safety, quality, and integrity for GCC products at contract manufacturers.
- Develop and maintain various quality related programs including but not limited to SPC, environmental monitoring, sanitation, allergen, HACCP, IPM, microbiological testing, weight control, product recall and self-audits.
- Apply scientific methodology, use of root cause and statistical analysis tools to support recommendations for process improvements and drive continuous improvement.
- Responsible for managing the pest control program to ensure a pest free environment.
- Manage the Microbiological testing program, interpret result and provide recommendations for improvements
- Responsible for the development, maintenance and implementation of quality procedures in partnership with Operations and all related departments.
- Assist with customer QA surveys.
- Issue monthly quality reports
- Correspond with suppliers as required.
- Create procedures to document best practice and ensure document control is maintained
Specific Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects/workload
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Firm understanding of GMP’s, HACCP, SSOP’s, IPM, Handbook 133, FSSC 22000, FSMA and SPC
- Strong analytical, organization and process development skills
- Excellent computer skills with working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work with individuals at all levels of management and build effective cross-functional (internal and external) relationships
Education and Work Experience:
- BS degree in Food Science or Biological Science field
- Minimum 5 years Quality Assurance experience in the food industry at management level
- Rare to Occasional ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds